Communications Content Intern
In this phase of Illinois Humanities’ growth, we are focused on strengthening our brand presence, building an institutional marketing strategy, expanding fundraising, and growing our audiences. In this exciting moment, Illinois Humanities is seeking a part time communications content intern who can help support the work we’re doing in storytelling, developing and growing our web and social media presence, and communicating effectively with donors. The intern will work with the director of marketing and communications to develop primarily digital content, support communications campaigns, and assist with other communications projects as assigned.
About Illinois Humanities
Illinois Humanities (IH), the Illinois affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, is a statewide nonprofit organization that activates the humanities through free public programs, grants, and educational opportunities that foster reflection, spark conversation, build community and strengthen civic engagement. We provide free, high-quality humanities experiences throughout Illinois, particularly for Black, Indigenous, and communities of color, individuals living on low incomes, counties and towns in rural areas, small arts and cultural organizations, and communities highly impacted by mass incarceration.
The Communications Content Intern will be a strong and creative writer, strategic, organized, collaborative, and results-oriented. In addition to being passionate about storytelling, communications, and social media, the ideal candidate will be passionate about the role of the humanities in strengthening communities, and comfortable working with a diverse staff across the organization. Ideal experience: journalism, communications, creative writing, marketing / digital marketing, fundraising.
Reports To: Director of Marketing and Communications
- Support the communications team to implement planned content for social media and communications calendar
- Draft and schedule / post content for social media, the website, and electronic newsletters
- Manage photo and video content; support the implementation of a digital asset management system
- Assist with development of creative concepts and marketing strategies for promoting the work of Illinois Humanities
- Work on communications projects as assigned
- Social media fluency with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Ability to manage social media using Hootsuite or similar platform
- Fluency with Canva and / or other simple graphic design platform(s)
- Exceptional, efficient writing ability and experience writing stories
- Ability to collect and synthesize information from diverse sources
- Creativity and resourcefulness
- Ability to multi-task
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Skills with Keynote, Photoshop, iMovie, Adobe Creative Cloud are preferred but not essential
- Experience with WordPress is also a plus
Starting immediately, through November 2021
$20 per hour; 20 hours per week
Illinois Humanities is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. It does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local, or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. Illinois Humanities is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
Please submit a cover letter, CV/résumé, and names and contact information for three references once clicking the "Apply for this Position" button above. The position will remain opened until filled.