Communications and Marketing Intern
In the next phase of Illinois Humanities’ growth, we are focused on strengthening our brand presence, building an institutional marketing strategy, growing our audiences, and expanding fundraising. In this exciting moment, IH is seeking a a marketing and communications intern who can support this work through storytelling, developing and growing our web and social media presence, helping establish relationships with the media, and communicating effectively with donors. The intern will work with staff on digital, promotional, and event media; will help develop communication initiatives and website and social media content; and assist in the creation of Illinois Humanities materials.
About Illinois HumanitiesIllinois Humanities (IH) activates the humanities across Illinois through free public programs, grants, and educational opportunities that foster reflection, spark conversation, build community, and strengthen civic engagement. IH is a nonprofit organization and the state’s affiliate for the National Endowment for the Humanities.
It is an exciting and rewarding time for IH. Our thriving programs and grantmaking are doing compelling work across Illinois in bringing communities together around humanities-based programs, and in making grants to humanities and cultural organizations. Our marketing and communications efforts play a key role in bringing the story of this work to audiences across the state, and beyond. Check out our programs and grantmaking at ilhumanities.org.
The Marketing and Communications Intern will be a strong and creative writer, strategic, organized, collaborative, and results oriented. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the role of the humanities in strengthening communities, and comfortable working with a diverse staff across the organization. Ideal majors: journalism, communications, creative writing, marketing / digital marketing, humanities or a related major.
Reports To: Director of Marketing and Communications
- Assist with development of creative concepts and marketing strategies for promoting the work of Illinois Humanities
- Develop content for promotional materials including social media, collateral, web site, blog, and electronic newsletters
- Help create and implement an annual communications calendar
- Build outmedia database, draft press releases, and contact journalists
- Develop digital asset management system, and manage photo and video content
- Possess skills at initiating innovative ideas and judging correctly what will appeal to target audiences
- Exceptional writing ability and experience with writing stories
- Ability to collect and synthesize information from diverse sources
- Experience using social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Creativity and resourcefulness
- Ability to multi-task
- Skills with Powerpoint / Keynote, Photoshop, iMovie, Adobe Creative Cloud are preferred but not essential
- Experience with WordPress is also a plus
Starting immediately, through November 2020
$15 per hour; hours per week negotiable, but no more than 35 per week
Illinois Humanities is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. It does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local, or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. Illinois Humanities is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
You will need to supply a cover letter, CV/resume, and names and contact information for 3 references once clicking the "Apply for this Position" button above. The position will remain opened until filled.